Thursday, December 8, 2011

Luke's 9 Month Doc Check-up

Luke had his 9 month doctor visit this week. It should've been more like his 10 month doctor appointment the way they booked it. He did such a good job with everything. In between the nurse checking his measurements and waiting on the doctor, Luke kept himself busy crawling and climbing everywhere. He only cried for a couple of seconds when the nurse gave him his shots and then he scolded her afterwards. She wasn't on his favorite people list after that:).

We were given some very interesting information while we were visiting. If you know me a little or at all you may pick up that I'm a somewhat "by the book" kind of girl. However, I wouldn't say I'm an extreme in this area. It makes me feel safe and comforted to know that what I'm doing is okay because I've read it or heard it from a reliable source. Sometimes though, I can stress myself out thinking I can't do certain things because two or more sources say not too. I got some relief from the doctor today with two of my issues. Issue #1 brushing Luke's teeth and Issue #2 making sure Luke doesn't get certain foods until he reaches the "appropriate" age (i.e. strawberries, nuts, honey, eggs,etc).

With issue #1 (brushing baby's teeth) Luke's doc says that's really all up to the parents. It's more of an introduction to something being rubbed on their gums so in the future they are more comfortable with a toothbrush. He said sometimes parents will wait up to three years of age to brush their teeth! Now, I don't think I'll wait that long but it gives me the comfort to know his baby teeth won't rot out if I forget to brush his teeth a few days in a row!

Issue #2 Not eating certain foods: This was a huge "aha" moment! {One of the many things we love about Luke's pediatrician is that he sits down with us and actually holds on a two-sided conversation. We haven't had an appointment go by that didn't last for over an hour. He's long-winded but filled with valuable information based on scientific studies he's read and researched. This is a breath of fresh air to most doctors in the industry. Most rush you out their door to fit in the next patient!} The synopsis of our long conversation about foods was there really isn't anything you can't give your 9 month old. The doc said there's been a big hype in parenting magazines, books and internet about not giving your baby citrus fruits, strawberries, nuts, eggs and honey but there aren't any good scientific studies to back them up. He said there used to be a time when the first thing doctor's told you to give your child was eggs because it's easy to make and a good source of protein. He said you can give your baby any of these food items just as long as they're introduced slowly to make sure there aren't any reactions to them. His only negative about nuts is the obvious choking hazard but there is no harm in giving him a muffin or such that contains nuts. In fact, he said the earlier you can introduce your child to all food types the better and less likely they are to develop an allergy.

With all the information out there combined with the occasional person saying, "Ooo, I wouldn't do that." Or, "Are you sure that's okay, I've heard that could be deadly!" and you feel like a horrible Mommy for doing something, check with you doctor and hopefully they give some comforting words of "What you're doing is okay."

Here are some pics of the events:)


1 comment:

  1. very cute pics! You made me lol on the brushing teeth thing. I ALWAYS forget to do Elli's and feel awful when I remember late at night after she's asleep. Haha, good to know her teeth won't turn black:)

    ReplyDelete