Friday, March 15, 2013

Confession


 
I usually blog about being a Mom and all the fun things that come along with it but I’m taking a moment to confess a selfish moment that I had today that I think all of us run in to at least a few times in our busy lives. I hope most won’t act on it but in this case I did and I’m sharing so others won’t do the same. I’ve been working part-time from home but back in September I decided to go into the office and work 3 days a week in order to get more work i.e. money to help pay off some of our debt before baby #2 arrives. I have three weeks left until D-day and I am still punching the time-card.

This morning I had a routine doctor visit and decided I would just take a half day at work. While I was at my visit I ran into a friend and we had time to catch up a little before I was called in for my appointment. While I was in my appointment I had a missed call and then a text from my friend saying her car wouldn’t start. So I called her up after my appointment and she asked if I would be able to take her back to her house. So what did my stupid self immediately think of??? I thought of myself and work and how this would set me back an hour. Worst of all, I actually mentioned to my friend I could drop her off but I would be late for work. She immediately said not to worry {of course, I would do the same if I asked for a favor and someone said that} and that she could call her husband to pick her up. It wasn’t until I got off the phone did I realize what a horrible friend I was. I called her again and insisted I picked her up. She said no worries her husband was on her way.

Writing this is making me cringe to know I actually did this! I say all this to make you aware life is too short to be thinking about work {James 4:14}, or worrying about being late to work, or what will work think if A B C happens. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve looked back on my “career” and thought, I can’t believe I put myself in those situations, I could have killed myself! And all because I was worried about my job and what would my boss think or the fact that I had no more vacation time and I would have to take the time unpaid {my example: literally driving on ice for 2 hours to get to work and I was pregnant}. Yes, I understand we have to pay our bills {blah, blah, blah} but let work be the very last thing you think about before your family and friends. In my {healthy} opinion, work should be the last priority in anyone’s life. We should work to live not live to work. Kudos, if you have the brains to be a lawyer, doctor or any other high paying profession where your work seems effortless to you. But for the majority of us, we’ll have average salary jobs in our lifetime and that’s OKAY! Just don’t live above your means. If you start noticing you have to turn friends/family events down or your husband/wife and you are arguing more then normal, chances are your letting work run your life. This is some advice I wish was given to me before I got married and started a family. It wasn’t until we had our first child did I realize how selfish I was with “my” time instead of “our” time as husband and wife.

So that's my confession {in a nutshell}. I've learned from it and I'm moving forward:). I think I needed something like this to happen for me to get back to what my priorities in life need to be. Thank you Lord for this test you've laid before me. 

Matthew 6:19-21 Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor dust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

No comments:

Post a Comment